Skip to content Skip to Content

Trump administration considers selling off hundreds of federal buildings, including FBI and DOJ headquarters

By Piper Hudspeth Blackburn, CNN

(CNN) — The Trump administration announced Tuesday that it is considering selling off hundreds of “non-core” federal properties, including the headquarters of the FBI and the departments of Justice, Veterans Affairs and Labor, according to the General Services Administration.

“GSA’s decisive action to dispose of non-core assets leverages the private sector, drives improvements for our agency customers, and best serves local communities,” the agency said in a news release, claiming that it could potentially save “more than $430 million in annual operating costs.”

The list of “non-core” properties posted to the GSA website also includes the Federal Trade Commission, the Department of Housing and Urban Development, and the Old Post Office — where the Trump Organization had a 60-year lease until it sold it to the Waldorf Astoria hotel in 2022. Several of the buildings listed include staff from multiple agencies, such as the Sam Nunn Atlanta Federal Center, the biggest federal government building in the Southeast.

GSA said in the release that most of the buildings flagged consist primarily of office space and that selling them will “ensure taxpayers no longer pay for empty and underutilized federal office space.”

The move comes as the Trump administration has ordered federal workers to return to their offices. The GSA on Tuesday did not specify where federal workers will go if their buildings are disposed of.

The possible closure of the buildings echoes promises made during President Donald Trump’s 2024 campaign, where he vowed to move tens of thousands of federal jobs out of Washington, DC, and into “places filled with patriots who love America.”

And Trump moved to relocate federal agencies in Washington during his first term, when the headquarters of the Bureau of Land Management was moved from the capital to Grand Junction, Colorado.

As part of a plan to conduct mass layoffs across the federal government, the Office of Management and Budget and the Office of Personnel Management have asked federal agencies for an outline of “a positive vision for more productive, efficient agency operations going forward.”

OMB and OPM want to know proposed relocations of offices away from the Washington, DC, metro area and plans to reduce costs and improve efficiency through technology. Those are due no later than April 14 and should be implemented by September 30, CNN previously reported.

The-CNN-Wire
™ & © 2025 Cable News Network, Inc., a Warner Bros. Discovery Company. All rights reserved.

Article Topic Follows: CNN

Jump to comments ↓

CNN Newsource

BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION

News-Press Now is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here.

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.