Skip to Content

News in brief

By The Associated Press

Arlington National Cemetery worker ‘pushed aside’ but won’t seek charges

WASHINGTON | An Arlington National Cemetery official was “abruptly pushed aside” during an altercation with former President Donald Trump’s staff during a wreath-laying ceremony but declined to press charges.

A statement from an Army spokesman Thursday said the cemetery employee was trying to make sure those participating in the wreath-laying ceremony were following the rules. The spokesman says the employee “acted with professionalism and avoided further disruption.”

The incident was reported to the police, but the employee decided not to press charges. The Army said it considered the matter closed.

Houthi video shows group planted bombs on tanker

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates | Yemen’s Houthi rebels have released footage showing that they boarded and intentionally set explosives aboard a Greek-flagged tanker that was earlier abandoned after they repeatedly attacked it, putting the Red Sea at risk of a major oil spill.

The Houthis chanted their group’s motto as they set explosives detonated aboard the oil tanker Sounion: “God is the greatest; death to America; death to Israel; curse the Jews; victory to Islam.”

The Sounion carried some 1 million barrels of oil when the Houthis initially attacked it last week. Since then, the West and the United Nations have warned that any oil spill from the Sounion could devastate coral reefs and wildlife that call the Red Sea home.

Serbia announces deal to buy French warplanes

BELGRADE, Serbia | Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic on Thursday announced a $3 billion deal to buy 12 French warplanes, in a move that shifts his country away from its dependence on Russian arms.

The announcement about the Rafale multi-purpose fighter jets was made during a joint news conference in Belgrade with French President Emmanuel Macron, who was on a two-day visit to Serbia.

Macron called it a ‘’historic and important’’ deal and praised Serbia’s ‘’strategic courage. It’s a true demonstration of European spirit.’’

Georgia puts West, Stein and De la Cruz on presidential ballots

ATLANTA | Georgia voters are likely to be able to choose from six candidates for president after Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger on Thursday put Cornel West and Claudia De la Cruz back on the ballot and ruled that the Green Party’s Jill Stein had qualified by another route.

Raffensperger, an elected Republican, overruled findings made last week by an administrative law judge that removed West and De la Cruz. West is running as an independent. De la Cruz is the nominee of the Party for Socialism and Liberation but has qualified as an independent in Georgia.

—From AP reports

Article Topic Follows: AP Briefs

Jump to comments ↓

BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION

News-Press Now is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here.

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content