Skip to Content

News in brief

By The Associated Press

Fans gather to

say goodbye to Flaco the owl

NEW YORK | Mournful fans of Flaco the Eurasion eagle-owl have gathered in New York City to say goodbye to the beloved celebrity creature who became an inspiration and joy to many as he flew around Manhattan after he was let out of his zoo enclosure.

A memorial was held Sunday afternoon in Central Park at what organizers call Flaco’s favorite oak tree.

Flaco was found dead on the Upper West Side on Feb. 23 after apparently hitting a building. His death was a heartbreaking end for the birders who documented his daily movements and the legions of admirers who followed along.

Trader Joe’s chicken soup dumplings recalled

NEW YORK | More than 61,000 pounds of steamed chicken soup dumplings sold at Trader Joe’s are being recalled for possibly containing hard plastic, according to U.S. regulators.

The Agriculture Department’s Food Safety and Inspection Service noted that the now-recalled dumplings, which are produced by CJ Foods Manufacturing Beaumont Corp., may be contaminated with foreign materials — specifically hard plastic from a permanent marker pen.

The 6-ounce Trader Joe’s Steamed Chicken Soup Dumplings under recall can be identified by their side box labels with lot codes 03.07.25.C1-1 and 03.07.25.C1-2. To date, no related illnesses or injures have been reported yet.

Arrest made, charges filed

in slaying of pregnant

Amish woman

SPARTANSBURG, Pa. | A Pennsylvania man was arrested Saturday and charged in the slaying of a pregnant Amish woman whose body was found last week.

Pennsylvania State Police say 52-year-old Shawn C. Cranston of Corry has been charged with criminal homicide, criminal homicide of an unborn child, burglary and criminal trespass. He was denied bail at a preliminary arraignment early Saturday morning and is being held at the Crawford County jail. Online court records don’t list a defense attorney.

Cranston’s arrest comes less than a week after authorities found the body of 23-year-old Rebekah A. Byler in the living room of her home a few miles from Spartansburg in northwestern Pennsylvania.

Malaysia may renew the search for MH370

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia | Malaysia’s government said Sunday it may renew the hunt for MH370 after a U.S. technology firm proposed a fresh search in the southern Indian Ocean where the Malaysia Airlines plane is believed to have crashed a decade ago.

Transport Minister Anthony Loke said Texas-based Ocean Infinity has proposed another “no find, no fee” basis to scour the seabeds, expanding from the site where it first searched in 2018. He said he has invited the company to meet him to evaluate new scientific evidence it has to find the plane’s final resting place.

If the evidence is credible, he said, he will seek Cabinet’s approval to sign a new contract with Ocean Infinity to resume the search.

—From AP reports

Article Topic Follows: AP Briefs

Jump to comments ↓

BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION

News-Press Now is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here.

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content